28 May 2008

We're all going on... LTA

Since the end of our coursework and final presentations there has been a steady stream of my fellow first year students leaving for exotic places and now it's my turn - off to CERN and Geneva on LTA.

An LTA (Long Term Attachment) is intended to get the students closer to our experiments as we try to make the transition from being clueless to useful in our adoptive teams - hopefully.

I joined LHCb and have already found it very useful being out here. CERN is the hub of activity for the (close to 60) institutions working on the project, whether based here or visiting, and I've had the oportunity to learn a lot in just a few short weeks.

Yesterday, I went underground to visit the experiment for the first, and maybe the last, time as it will be closed at the end of this week in preparation for the start-up of the collider. Many people have invested a lot of years and effort in the project and it was very impressive to see in all it's detail - even if it was difficult to reconcile the simplified diagrams that I knew with the mass of metal supports and cabling I saw.

As a UK-funded student, I'm living in a studio apartment arranged for me by STFC. It's in Geneva, close to the Old Town and about an hour's commute to the office at CERN. I recently got married and my wife has moved out here with me. She's finding plenty to do in the city, enjoying the relaxed atmosphere, shopping in outdoor markets and getting to grips with the local language.

French isn't essential here, with Geneva's large ex-pat community and English the common languge at CERN, but it helps to get the most out of what seems, so far, to be an interesting place to live.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

By the Old Town I assume you mean the historical city of Chester.

Glad you're having a lovely time.

Now get back to my email.