17 February 2008

My Postgraduate Students' Physics Grandfather

Postgraduate advisor-advisee relationships often bring up discussions of physics genealogy -- for example the fact that students of my colleague Dave Wark, such as Ian, will share their physics grandfather with me.

Through all the variations such discussions can take, one common question is "what was my physics grandparent like?"

My advisor was Peter Fisher, and I was his first student, and there are lots of things I could say in response (and probably will), but it is not often that you can point to a clip from the Late Night with Conan O'Brien programme to answer the question....

So here he is in all his glory:
NBC Television(in the US), or, slightly more dodgily: A certain google-owned site

3 comments:

Morgan said...

I'd like to point out that my wife, Dr. Jocelyn Monroe, was mentioned by name in Peter's spot on Conan. Interestingly, Jocelyn's physics brother is a Reader here at Imperial.

Jason D. said...

Yoshi, don't you and I share a physics grandfather?

Jason

Yoshi said...

Hi Jason, good to hear from you!

(Jason and I worked together on the KamLAND Experiment when we were at Stanford University)

Yes you may very well be right -- I hasten to add that this says more about the grandfather and his physics offspring, than our field being a bit too tightly knit for its own good!