13 July 2007

Royal Visit


I had a unique experience for an American this week: seeing the Queen in person. She visited the College as part of the Centenary events, and had a quite a busy day from what I've read---but I guess that's always the case when she visits someplace. In the picture I've posted, she is walking through Upper Dalby Court here in the South Ken campus with the Rector, Sir Richard Sykes, having just dedicated the new Biomedical Engineering Institute and on her way to congratulate the College on 100 years of greatness. I was one of the "well wishers" who gathered to greet her en route. I'll confess that it was fun because I have always been a fan of pomp and circumstance, but I was disappointed that she didn't have time to chat because I had honed my elevator pitch about experimental particle physics and was quite prepared to make her love our field. Another time, perhaps.

No comments: