13 March 2007

First LHCb week at CERN

I'm out at CERN for my first LHCb week. Four times a year, everyone working on the LHCb gets together to discuss how things are going with the experiment. For me, it's a great opportunity to meet lots of people, some of which I've already been working with, and some who I will work with in the future. I've been here for 5 days already, and have found my time very productive.

I have been working on a software project called Ganga, a neat little Grid front end tool used developed by members of the LHCb and ATLAS collaborations. It’s been really good to meet other people working on the project and discuss ideas face to face.

There are lots of interesting meetings scheduled this week, and today I'm off to find out about the RICH detector and the "online" software (used during data taking). Later in the week, there are meetings on Physics and computing, which I am looking forward too, and a lecture by Michael Frayn, a well known British playwright. I’ll try to post a follow up to let everyone know how the week went.

No comments: