14 February 2007

International Collaborations, Elections, and the Subtleties of Language

An election was just held to decide who would work alongside Koichiro Nishikawa of Kyoto University as the first International Co-Spokesperson for the collaboration of a couple of hundred physicists working on the T2K Experiment.

When Dave Wark, my colleague at Imperial, was nominated as a candidate, I offered him a bit of advice to help him advance his international credentials -- through the words "yoroshiku onegai shimasu" which is what Japanese politicians spew after every other sentence during election campaigns. It roughly translates to, well, er, ...according to one web page:

"I suppose every language has a number of expressions that defy translation into another language. One of the Japanese phrases that belong to this category would be 'Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.'", then going on to say:

"Thus, if I were to be forced to translate the phrase 'Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.' into English, I would say, 'I hope you will take care of ( someone / something ) in a way that is convenient for both you and me. (I count on your cooperation.)'"

Which sounds utterly shameless in this context....

My personal translation, which is what I gave Dave, was that it expresses a desire for "the concept of pursuing goodness, correctness". Beautiful.

I think he might have used the phrase at a meeting or two, though whether anyone actually understood him is unknown.

He didn't listen to my other suggestion that he ought to become the first physicist to launch a spokesperson election campaign on YouTube, however.



But now, the speculation is over. I can sense the tension in the imperialhep.blogspot.com readership.

The results were announced earlier today, and despite not having a YouTube election campaign, it turns out that Dave has been elected by a majority of the vote.

Whether our new International Co-Spokesman will ever visit us on this blog remains to be seen. Dave?

1 comment:

Patrick said...

We now have three experiment spokespersons in the group. That's probably world-record! They are Jim Virdee (CMS), Dave Wark (T2K) and Morgan Wascko (SciBooNE). Loooking at the picture gallery in front of the elevators I realized they happen to be nicely aligned next to each other in alphabetical order. We maybe should add a golden frame around their pictures, or something...